The Penn Central provided 18 operating EMD FL9's to Conrail's roster in April, 1976. CR maintained their PC number series as 5000-5028.
Built between October 1956 and November 1960 for the New Haven, EMD designed the FL9's to operate in passenger service as electrics through use of a third rail shoe or operate more efficiently as a diesel-electric. The FL9 sported an unusual B-A1A wheel arrangement to support an additional steam boiler and to meet the Park Avenue Viaduct weight restrictions. The FL9's traveled from Grand Central Station to Boston, Springfield and other non-electrified destinations without a need to change engines in New Haven.