The original class of ore jennies built by the PRR, these cars were designed to carry heavy grades of iron ore pellets. 1000 G38s were built in 1960 by the Sam Rea Shops. As time went on, ores had a lower iron content and were therefore lighter, which led to the development of the G39s. Despite their lower capacity, the G38s could still be found in service until the mid to late 1990s on some routes. The vast majority of the G38s were retrofitted with 77-ton trucks and re-classed G38Bs.