This gallery features photos in and around many of Conrail's locomotive shops and includes some of the smaller maintenance facilities.
The 1901 Central Railroad of New Jersey shops at Elizabethport serviced Conrail freight, and passenger locomotives under contract to NJDOT, from the early days of Conrail until the turnover of all NJ commuter operations to NJ Transit on January 1, 1983.
During that time, Conrail's freight units, in both predecessor paint and CR blue, were seen at the shops alongside former CNJ GP40P's, EL U34CH's, and PC E-units with their evolving NJ Transit paint schemes.
formation until the end of 1982, CR E-7A's and E-8A's operated under contract to NJDOT (1976-1979) and NJ Transit (1979-1982) for commuter line service on the NY&LB line. The E-units were serviced at the South Amboy, NJ maintenance facility.
This door comes from Conrail's former 2 stall engine house on the Ex-Erie mainline in Meadville, PA.
As verified by Sean McDonald of the CRHS, this building is still standing along with the door as of summer 2009. This door is on the east face of the building.