These galleries contain photos centered around a number of topics that may be of interest to Conrail fans.
The CRHS is currently working on filling out these galleries, and we depend on user contributions to do so. If you have some CR photos that you would like to share, please visit the "How to contribute to the site" page to learn about contributing to the Conrail Photo Archive.
Operation Lifesaver is a public education program directed at reducing the number of grade crossing fatalities. Conrail was an active participant, specially painting equipment and conducting seminars and lectures about the importance of grade crossing safety. Learn more about Operation Lifesaver at OLI.org
Various equipment was used to promote the Operation Lifesaver message at Conrail. Most widely used were GP15-1, GP38 and GP38-2 locomotives, however there were other items found throughout the system with the OL message. Locomotives noted were;
GP15-1's; 1633, 1637, 1662, 1668, 1679, 1680, 1681, 1686, 1687, 1699
GP35; 2255 (worn only about one year)
GP38's; 7734, 7735, 7889, 7895, 7906 (7889 noted with the upside down logo)
GP38-2's; 8047, 8090, 8205, 8208, 8210, 8263, 8276 (8047 and 8276 are available in HO scale by Athearn)
For a few years after its creation, Conrail still provided commuter passenger service in a number of cities.
This excellent site has some more information about Conrail's short lived passenger operations.
NJDOT contracted Conrail to operate NJ commuter lines from Conrail’s formation in April 1976 until 1979, when the Public Transportation Act created NJ Transit. Passenger service continued under contract by NJ Transit with Conrail from 1979 until the end of 1982. On January 1, 1983 NJ Transit assumed passenger operations from Conrail.
NJ diesel-powered passenger service was provided by former EL U34CH's, CNJ GP-40P's, PC E-7A and E-8A's, and PRSL and CNJ Budd Company RDC's. Electric-powered service was provided by former PC GG-1's and Silverliners (St. Louis Car Company Arrow I and GE Arrow-II's and III's), and EL MU's (Pullman GE).
Septa contracted Conrail to operate regional Philadelphia passenger service until the early 1980's.
Diesel-powered passenger service was provided by former RDG FP-7A's and Budd Company RDC's. Electric-powered service was provided by former RDG MU's (Harlan & Hollingsworth MU's built 1931) and Silverliners (Budd Company II's and GE, Avco IV's), as well as former PC MP-54's and Silverliners (Budd Company II, St. Louis Car Company III's, and GE, Avco IV's).
North of NJ, Conrail operated NYC commuter lines using diesel and electric-powered ex-NH FL-9's and Budd Company RDC's.
Over the years thousands of freight cars, locomotives, structures and other components have been lost to the wrecking ball and scrappers torch. Fortunately for us, some of this carnage was captured and is showcased in this gallery.
Occasionally, power from other roads would venture on CR's rails. Run-through power from western roads could be seen on interchange trains at Yards like Elkhart and Avon, while power from CSX and NS could be found on interchange trains to and from Selkirk and Allentown.