Conrail's N5G class was a group of Northeastern-style cabooses built by the Lehigh Valley between 1937-46. The cars were assigned CR 18601-18701, 18400-05 and 18417-26. CR 18613-18701 were acquired directly from the LV in the merger, but the other cars were transferred to the PC in 1968 before joining the Conrail fleet. Many variations exist in this group of cars, including window style & locations and step construction.
CR 18629, ex-LV 95016 N5G class cabin follows SW8 LV 261 as she works the hump at Allentown yard.
Ex-LV cabin 95016 has been reported preserved at Casey's Caboose Motel, near Oil Creek & Titusville Depot in Titusville, PA.
At home in the coal fields, 18645 is on the end of an MP15DC powered local entering West Cressona Yard on the Good Spring Secondary Track. CR 18645 ex LV 95002.
An ex-LV N5G caboose brings up the rear on a coal train through Donaldson PA. CR 18645 ex LV 95002.